Saturday, September 12, 2009

America's Education System Breeds Perpetual Adolescence

Pastor Matt Trewhella,

September 11, 2009

It is my contention that America breeds perpetual adolescence amongst its people. We are a nation of people that refuses to grow up.

I Corinthians 13:11 states "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

In this text, Paul is referring to a natural phenomenon to make a spiritual application. It is natural to grow up. To become mature. To no longer act and think like a child. To put those things away and embrace responsibility, maturity, manhood, womanhood. And so it should be when it comes to spiritual matters is Paul's point. In America however, not only is spiritual immaturity a problem, but natural immaturity is a problem.

Though some are beginning to realize and write about the problem of ‘perpetual adolescence' in American society, few are able to isolate the causes. One prevailing cause for perpetual adolescence amongst Americans is our American education system – it breeds perpetual adolescence.


No comments: